Thursday, September 24, 2009

First of all I thought Amy Poehler's show is adorable. Next, in her blog prompt, Amanda asks several questions, such as, "How have our depictions of girls changed? Stayed the same? Would have things been different if Gerty could have appeared on Amy Pholer's TV show? What would Gerty have said?" I have several answers. The girl, Anna in the video does yoga, so she likes to talk about balance, physically and emotionally. I think this is a little different from previous times, in that, adults tend to instruct little Gerty not to show her anger. When told by Emily Graham not to hate people, Gerty replies, "Why shouldn't I?... It's not wrong; I say it isn't!...and I do hate 'em; and I hate Nan Grant, and I always shall" (Cummins 148). Although Gerty says angrily that she will always hate certain people, she probably will not because she is just expressing her anger towards others who have wrongfully hurt her. In my opinion Gerty is right. Repressed anger causes depression; it is the exact definition of depression (anger turned inward). It does not show emotional balance to be happy and smiley all the time and never show a frown out of anger. However it does show balance to show one's anger when it comes or else one would eventually explode (figuratively). It is the same in Wide, Wide World. After being treated like a doormat in the shoppe where Ellen goes to buy her mother some merinos, "Ellen stood a moment stock still, just where he had left her, struggling with her feelings of mortification; she could not endure to let them be seen. Her face was on fire; her head was dizzy....she could not command back one or two rebel tears that forced their way" (Warner 61). Clearly Ellen is struggling to keep her tears of rage from coming out or from being seen by anyone. Warner describes Ellen's physical state when she is angry very well. Ellen is very angry because an adult, someone she respects thoroughly, has just walked all over her. However she still thinks it is wrong to stand up for herself even if it means showing her anger. It is very unbalanced to repress one's emotions as much as Ellen does. It was a common standard that little girls were always to be pleasant and never angry. Today we teach children to talk their feelings out and express them probably because of all the present psychological studies conducted on repressed anger. If Gerty could have been on Amy Poehler's today, she may have been seen as a leader due to the pure honesty she exhibits when she speaks of her anger. She would have told about the time a troop of ugly, heartless girls called her very father figure "Old Smutty". She "was furious. Her eyes glistened, she doubled her liffle fist, and without hesitation came down in battle upon the crowd" (146). Although I have to say it is wrong to fight when one is angry, inside I am actually applauding Gerty for standing up for her heart-- for the one person who has ever loved her. Still, it ended badly for Gerty and she ran away, so I would think she would have been better off not punching as many of them as she could before they overpowered her and tried to anihilate her.

1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed reading your blog, I also thought the Amy's show was very cute and adorable. I agree on your thought on how now in days we teach children to be able to express their emotions openly. Unlike Ellen who had to compose herself before going downstairs to her mother and father. And Gerty who didn't know how to correctly show her emotions, she would through her misfits.

    ReplyDelete