I think Perkins Gilman writes to effect change in "The Yellow Wallpaper" by showing that the narrator dies in the end, or is dead the entire story. This leaves a huge impact on the reader and convinces him or her that change needs to occur in 20th century society's treatment of major depression after having a child. She is clearly depressed, stating, "I think sometimes that if I were only well enough to write a little it would relieve the press of ideas and rest me. But I find I get pretty tired when I try" (357). If writing in a diary makes you tired, you know you are depressed because that is probably one of the least straining things one could possibly do. I think Perkins GIlman is trying to evoke change in the way society in the 20th century treats major depression because we find that all the treatments that John prescribes for her never worked and she is dies possibly from the treatments themselves. I have had major depression and I know several things about the way one should be treated for it. And it does not take a rocket scientist to figure it out anyway. For example, sitting alone in a room for days at a time is not the way to go because that way one can actually think their negative thoughts are o.k. and further them until they get even worse. One needs human interaction -- not too much, but enough-- in order to heal from depression. She says, "I cry at nothing, and cry most of the time. Of course I don't when John is here, or anybody else, but when I am alone" (358). The secret crying is an indication to the reaader that the narrator is going to try to secretively commit suicide. Suicide is almost always done behind someone's back because they might stop one from doing it, so the narrator's secret tears may indicate future plans to kill herself.
I think Uncle Tom's Cabin is a major example of a text in which the author is trying to evoke change. I think one thing that stands out to me in UTC is how slaves are referred to as "creatures", as if they were animals and not human beings. When referring to slaves, one character says, "Poor, homeless, houseless creatures!...Thing have got to a pretty pass, if a woman can't give a warm supper and a bed to poor, starving creatures, just because they are slaves" (144). Another quote appears, "Treat 'em like dogs, and you'll have dogs' actions. Treat "em like men, and you'll have men's works" (179). Harriet Beecher Stowe believes that slavery is o.k., however she believes that maltreatment of slaves is not o.k. I do disagree with this because human beings should all be treated equally. I think Stowe is on the right path though, that slaves should be treated better. And Stowe makes her point that society needs to quit treating slaves like animals here.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment